Pay Attention to Morale!
One of my favorite leadership books is Eisenhower’s Crusade in Europe. This is his memoirs on leading the Allies in Europe during WW2 which are full of leadership lessons easily transferred into Kingdom leading. The following compilation on the importance of maintaining high morale is an important reminder today as many a struggling with mental health issues.
FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO HIGH MORALE from Dwight D. Eisenhower, Crusade in Europe
1. Morale is the greatest single factor in successful warfare.
2. The individual is the key to success.
3. Communicate correct information to counteract negative propaganda.
4. Maintaining the initiative not only keeps the enemy on the defensive, but builds morale.
5. Success in reaching a goal or series of victories builds morale and esprit de corps.
6. When the enemy is successfully attacking, calmness, firmness and optimism are essential to win through to victory.
7. Keep the civilians informed of the progress of the war.
8. Visit the troops frequently in the field.
9. Talk to the troops about everything. Ask them if they have discovered any new trick or gadget to use in fighting.
10. Mutual confidence, a feeling of partnership, is the essence of esprit de corps.
11. Take initiative to find out their problems. Don’t wait for them to come to you.
12. Men must feel that they are being treated equally and fairly.
13. Men must know their own accomplishments are understood and appreciated.
14. Leadership, discipline, technique, as well as numbers, equipment, mobility, supply and maintenance are prerequisite to the existence of morale.
15. Morale will suffer unless all ranks thoroughly believe that their commanders are concerned first and always with the welfare of the troops who do the fighting.
16. Provide recreation and furlough time. Veterans like to return to their own unit. Relieve units from front-line duty periodically.
17. Higher commanders devote every minute of their time to tactics, logistics, and morale.
Tom, once again this is so timely for us!! Thank you for all you do to continue to develop us as Kingdom leaders! We are so far from the US and all the resources there, your words are used by God to encourage and spur us on! Thank you!
May the Lord bless you and multiply your life!