Recruiting and Retaining the Best
General Colin Powell [Chairman (Ret.), Joint Chiefs of Staff] in his work, “A Leadership Primer” describes the following principle:
“Organization doesn’t accomplish anything. Plans don’t accomplish anything either. Theories of management don’t much matter. Endeavors succeed or fail because of the people involved. Only by attracting the best people will you accomplish great deeds.”
How does a leader attract and recruit the best people to accomplish great things? Here are several of my thoughts:
1. Ask God to give you people to help you accomplish what He has asked you to do. People are a gift from Him. John 17:6
2. Have a clear and compelling vision that is big enough to grab someone’s attention, challenge their status quo, and attract them to join you in making that vision a reality.
3. Recruit to vision, not activity!
4. Don’t be afraid to ask busy, competent people to join with you in making this a vision come true. Be bold! James 4:2
5. Promise to lead and care for them well. Deliver on your promise.
6. Promise to develop them for contribution, not role or title. Deliver on your promise.
7. Trust that God will sovereignly bring people across your path to help you. 1 Chron. 12:22
8. Ask people to make a decision – does God want you with us or not? What does God want you to do with this decision?
9. Don’t let the decision linger with not deadline. Don’t rush it, but don’t let it go on forever either.
10. Celebrate the person’s response. If with you – great! If God has said no to this offer –great! We only want what God wants for you!
Are you asking God for the best possible people or are you simple looking for anyone with a pulse? Ask Him to give you His best!