The Basics are Basic #1
“I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.”
What is the Meaning of the Gospel?
1. The bible says that there are three things that are common to all people: 1) all have sinned (Romans 3:23), 2) all will die (Romans 5:12) and 3) all will stand before God in judgment (Hebrews 9:27).
2. Because of sin, people are separated from God and will die; death is physical, but also spiritual separation from God; God who is Most Holy, cannot relate with man who is sinful.
3. People often seek to bridge the gap of separation back to God by various means such as trying to live a good, moral life or being faithful in their religion.
4. But God says that all these good deeds will not help us bridge this gap and end the separation (Ephesians 2:8-9). Mankind needs a Savior who is able to bridge this gap and bring them to God.
5. Jesus Christ came to deliver mankind from death; to “bring us to God.” He was put to death to pay the penalty for our sin and raised from the dead as proof that salvation is through Him. Jesus is the bridge to bring people back to a right relationship with God (1 Peter 3:18). He is the Savior!
6. God offers eternal life with Himself and the forgiveness of sin if we fulfill two conditions: 1) we must hear the gospel and 2) we must believe (John 5:24).
7. By believing we put our trust in Christ to save us from our sin and renounce our sinful ways. We must invite Him into our life (John 1:12; Revelation 3:20).
You can have your sins forgiven and receive the gift of eternal life now by praying and asking God to forgive you and telling Him you want Jesus as your Savior.
Prayer is simply talking with God. Our words are not as important as the attitude of our heart. We place our trust in Christ by praying a prayer like this:
“Dear Heavenly Father, I admit that I am a sinner. I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ died for me. I trust Jesus to forgive my sins right now. Let me start a new and meaningful life with you today. Amen.”
You have heard the gospel. Have you believed and put your trust in Jesus?